CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

2.21.2010

Blueberry Pie





I bought a few cartons of blueberries at Costco so that I could make blueberry jam. Well a week or two went by and all of the sudden it was time to do something with those bad boys... and so I decided to make a blueberry pie. This was my first attempt at making a blueberry pie and I think that it turned out rather well. Mine was a little bit runny- but next time I will know to add more flour.

The pie crust is easy breezy lemon squeezy. :)
- 2.5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
10 tablespoons butter
10 tablespoons ICE cold water (up to 10 tablespoons)

Mix the flour, salt, shortening, and butter in a mixer or blender until the butter/shortening is about pea sized. Then add ice water one tablespoon at a time. I think that the original recipe (which I can't find anymore. I think I got this recipe from King Arthur flour... but now i can't find it) only called for 7-9 tablespoons of water. But for some reason or another 10 works for me in my altitude... or something.

Anyway you want to make sure that you make this in advance (i try to do it the night before) so by the time I'm ready to use it- it is nice and pliable. If you haven't done it the night before give it 2-3 hours to chill.

Filling-
5-6 cups (ish) of fresh blueberries
3/4 cup flour (maybe add another 1/2 ish cup because they are so juicy)
3/4 cup sugar
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt

Make sure your fruit is washed- and then kind of blot it with a paper towel to get some of the water off. Then fold in ingredients. Then assemble your pie. I like to do these fancy cookie cutters from Williams-Sonoma. I heart them.

Before you put on the top of your pie add a few tabs of butter... it just makes it THAT much better. (i got that tip from my friend, Caralee- Hi caralee. :)

Anyway- the pie turned out it was a little soupy but super tasty.

1 comment:

Annieofbluegables said...

OK, Now you've done it. Can I live next door to you? What a BEAUTIFUL pie this turned out to be.
I know I cannot justify buying those little leaves, because I wouldn't ever use it like you have, but still I seriously think about it.
~a