CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

4.25.2010

Marinara




I have always used Ragu spaghetti sauce. I never thought that I could make a marinara sauce that would taste as good as the store bought. I also disliked homemade sauce that was too watery/runny. One day I went down to the basement to get a jar of spaghetti sauce and we were out! *gasp! I wasn't sure what to do. But I did have a can of crushed tomatoes... So I started an adventure of making my own recipe. And guess what- it is the BEST spaghetti sauce that I have ever had... if i do say so myself. :)

What you need:
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
3 carrots (cubed)
3 sticks of celery (chopped)
1 onion (finely chopped)
3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 red pepper (cubed)
a hand full of basil leaves (minced)
oregano 2 teaspoons
garlic powder
sausage or ground beef/turkey
(i use chicken sausage)

Start by sauteing onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper. In a separate sauce pan add crushed tomatoes, and when the veggies are finished sauteing add to sauce pan. Add seasonings. Saute the meat of your choice and let it rest for a few minutes. Add to sauce.

Add to noodles, and top with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

1 comment:

Sailor said...

Hmmm.... I never would have thought of carrots. Or celery for that matter, but I'm sure they are just fine. Jenny showed us the true way by using pesto in marinara sauces. Looks yummy - good call on the crushed tomatoes rather than the home canned tomatoes that we used. There was a lot more water to deal with.